Time: Sat Jun 28 05:45:52 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id FAA22939;
	Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:38:26 -0700 (MST)
	by usr10.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id FAA08238;
	Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:38:17 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:36:38 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Grandmothers for Honest Government (fwd)

<snip>

>GRANDMOTHERS FOR HONEST GOVERNMENT
>P.O. Box 6934
>Tyler, Texas 75711
>
>We are for:
>
>*  Reforming Congress
>*  Repealing the 17th Amendment
>*  Retiring ALL WASHINGTON LOBBYISTS
>*  Saving the Country for our Children, Grandchildren and          Posterity
>
>This is a desperate plea to you and everyone to join GRANDMOTHERS FOR
HONEST GOVERNMENT in bring sanity back to our government in Washington.
Our government is out of control.  Lobbyists and special interests are
calling the shots.  When a U.S. Senator's race cost millions of dollars in
a statewide race, a U.S. Senator is bought and sold to Special Interests
and Lobbyists.

>By repealing the 17th Amendment, we could solve many of our problems in
government.  It would put a stop to the control of SPECIAL INTERESTS and
the LOBBYISTS, end the need for limited terms, hold the line on spending
and bring about a balanced budget, bring back RESPONSIBILITY and
ACCOUNTABILITY, HONESTY and FAIRNESS at all levels of our government.  Our
Congressmen will be strong STATESMEN, mindful of the best for our nation
today, tomorrow and for future generations.

>Lawmakers probably had good intentions when they ratified the 17th
Constitutional Amendment, April 8, 1913, which changed the original intent
of our Founding Fathers.  Until 1913, there were no statewide elections for
U.S. Senators.  Each State Legislature elected two of its most honorable
members to go to Washington to represent their State in the United States
Sendate.  The United States Senate was the strong branch of our government
... the safeguard to stop all bad legislation.  This was the plan of the
Framers of our Constitution.  U. S. Senators were responsible and
accountable to their State Legislatures ... answerable for their voting and
their actions ... subject to recall and replacement -- if and when a
Senator stepped out of line.

>In 1933, we repealed the 18th Constitutional Amendment which eliminated
most of the "drunks" in the nation.  Let's eliminate all those Washington
Lobbyists in 1997 by repealing the 17th Constitutional Amendment -- and
save the country for our children and our grandchildren.

>Join GRANDMOTHERS FOR HONEST GOVERNMENT -- only $5 a year to help cover
expenses.  All grandfathers, grandmothers, fathers, mothers, sons,
daughters, grandsons, and granddaughters are welcome.  Send check to:
GRANDMOTHERS FOR HONEST GOVERNMENT, P.O. BOX 6934, TYLER, TEXAS 75711.

>*  *  *
>
>A BETTER WAY
>	"Limited Terms" is the talk of the day ... supposed to fix government.
>	Don't count on it ... go back to the plan of our Founding Fathers ...
they made the United States Senate the Strong Branch of our government.
>	It does not matter how many laws the United States House of
Representatives passes ... nothing can become law unless it passes the
United States Senate.
>	This is a simple plan - and it will work.  In all the states ... the
state House of Representatives (the lower house) would elect two of its
most honorable and capable members to go to Washington to represent their
respective state in the United States Senate.
>	Now, every U.S. Senator would have to report to his or her state
legislature ... always subject to recall at any time they were out of line
in their voting or action.
>	State legislators are usually close to their voters ... many times they
live in the same town or city.  One would not have to be writing or calling
Washington ... the state legislature would be the one to contact ... and
your state lawmaker would get your U.S. Senate [sic] in line.  The
excellence of state government will improve because every state legislator
would like to be a U.S. Senator.
>	At this time, U.S. Senators are elected in costly statewide elections
costing millions and millions of dollars ... tying the hands of our
lawmakers to lobbyists before they reach Washington for their six year term.
>	How wonderful it would be for our U.S. Senators to be statesmen again ...
going to Washington with absolutely no ties to lobbyists ... knowing they
are fully accountable for every vote cast and always subject to recall.
>	This would send all lobbyists to the employment office.  All present
senators can retire on their $1,000,000 pensions."
>-Myra Davis Dippel
>Tyler
>
>*  *  *
>
>AMENDMENT XVII
>
>The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from
each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years, and each Senator
shall have one vote.  The electors in each State shall have the
qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the
State Legislatures.

>When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate,
the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill
such vacancies.  Provided, That the Legislature of any State may empower
the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill
the vacancies by elections as the Legislature may direct.

>This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term
of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution.

>*  *  *
>
>Tyler Morning Telegraph
>Thursday, March 6, 1997
>Editorial
>
>Reforming Congress, retiring all Washington lobbyists and saving our
country for our children, grandchildren and posterity sound like goals most
Americans would endorse.

>Those objectives are listed as the sole purpose for establishment of a new
group calling itself Grandmothers for Honest Government which is
headquartered in Tyler.  President of the organization is Myra Davis
Dippel, a former member of the Texas Legislature.

>The key to attaining those objectives is seen as repeal of the 17the
Constitutional Amendment, which reads in part: "The Senate of the United
States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, elected by the
people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote.  The
electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors
of the most numerous branch of the State Legislatures."

>Lawmakers possibly had good intentions when they ratified the 17th
Constitutional Amendment, April 8, 1913, Ms Dippel said.  "However, they
changed the original intent of our Founding Fathers."

>Under the original United States Constitution provision, the state
legislature from each state elected two of its most honorable members to go
to Washington to represent their respective state in the United States Senate.

>"The United States Senate was to be the strong branch of our government --
the safeguard to stop all bad laws," Ms. Dippel added.  "U.S. senators were
responsible and accountable to their state legislature, answerable for
their voting and their actions, subject to recall and replacement at any
time a senator stepped out of line."

>The problem today as identified by this new group is that Americans are
unaware of the unique plan the nation's Founding Fathers had for their
country when they drew up our form [of] government, "which gave no place
for lobbyists in Washington."

>Lobbyists have been controlling statewide U.S. senatorial elections ever
since ratification of the 17th Constitutional Amendment, the group contends.

>Having U.S. senators elected in statewide elections sounds good, Ms.
Dippel said, "but it has not worked out that way.  The statewide ...
elections have opened the door for special interest groups and lobbyists."

>With repeal of the 17th Amendment, it is pointed out, any U.S. senator
could be called home to stand before his state legislature and give a full
account of his voting and his actions.

>"Any U.S. senator would almost rather face a den of lions than those
critical lawmakers who sent him to Washington to represent their state in
the U.S. Senate," she believes.  "The office of U.S. senator is one of the
most prestigious offices in the land.  Every state legislator will be a
better legislator, hoping and looking forward to the day when his state
legislature will send him to Washington as their U.S. senator.  Government
will improve on every level when lawmakers are made accountable and
replaceable."

>Statewide U.S. senate races are very costly, and someone holding the
office has to raise $6,000 every day in the year to finance the next
campaign, it is noted.  Repeal of the 17th Amendment would save from $5 to
$50 million each U.S. senatorial election and retire more than 9,000
lobbyists in Washington, the grandmothers' group figures.  It also might
ease the need for campaign reform, which obviously is another of those
things Washington is unable to solve.

>Plans of the group are to work with governors, all members of the U.S.
Congress and state legislatures and assemblies to try to get momentum
behind its effort, which is being launched nationwide this week with
mailing of letters to all of those.

>It is far too early to assess the kind of reception their plan will
receive from those officials, but strong objection can be expected from any
who might perceive it as a serious threat to the status quo in political
elections and campaigning.

>One thing that most concerned citizens will readily endorse, however, is
the list of objectives the grandmothers' group has embraced.

>#  #  #
>

>-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com ->  Posted by:
Kepi

email:   [address in tool bar]       : using Eudora Pro 3.0.2 on 586 CPU