Time: Tue Jul 01 11:26:02 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id JAA15696;
	Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:46:33 -0700 (MST)
	by usr06.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id JAA05145;
	Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:46:21 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 09:44:40 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: great tip for Eudora Pro users
Cc: <eudora-suggest@qualcomm.com>

Charlie and others,

Thanks for the upbeat message on
my answering machine.

Please permit me to recommend
that you make a habit of transmitting
messages like that via email.

Long-distance calls really add up,
and they only put an unnecessary
drain on your finances.

The Internet is where all the action
is right now, and into the indefinite
future.

Here's a great tip:

Migrate to Eudora Pro, if you haven't already,
and set up an intermediate mailbox index,
using a single letter from each letter in
the alphabet:

A  is a folder for all messages with FROM names
   which begin with "a"

B  is a folder for all messages with FROM names
   which begin with "b"

Z  is a folder for all messages with FROM names
   which begin with "z"

Use the Transfer option in the main menu to
transfer all messages from the same FROM into
their corresponding mailbox.

This is very easy after you sort on FROM,
and then select all messages from the same
source.  Do this by clicking on the first
in a group, and move the mouse pointer to
the last name in the group, hold down SHIFT,
and click on that one.  This will select
all messages in between as well.  To sort
on FROM, just click on the FORM column header.

Then, do ALT-R and transfer these messages
into their own mailbox, identified by the
exact character sequence preceding the "@"
sign.  Eudora keeps a correspondence table,
which will allow you to imbed blanks, so
be literal, and keep to their exact user
I.D. (text preceding "@"), and you will
make a good habit of this structure.

For example, my email would go into the "pmitch"
mailbox, in the "P" folder, because "p" is the
first letter, and "pmitch" is my user I.D. text,
preceding the "@" in my full email address.

If you want to get fancy, you can use
filtering in the very same manner, but
I find Eudora to be slower, when Filter must
check so many messages against so many
tests.  I keep my Filter tests to a minimum
number, and use the sequence I describe above.
If you don't mind the overhead, this scheme
will do automatic transfers every time Eudora
checks your server for waiting inbound email.

This has allowed me to capture tons of email,
and organize it very efficiently.  You will
find that "J" gets the most populated.  Be
careful when you drag your mouse into a
long list;  Eudora has a bug here.  You must
keep the mouse button depressed, or Transfer
will transfer the selected messages into the
mailbox which is already highlighted, not the
one you wish to target.

Try it.  It only takes 15 minutes to set up
the 26 subordinate folders.

email:   [address in tool bar]       : using Eudora Pro 3.0.2 on 586 CPU