Time: Tue Jul 15 11:28:28 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id LAA08039
	for [address in tool bar]; Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:23:17 -0700 (MST)
	by usr08.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id LAA20160;
	Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:17:49 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:17:26 -0700
To: fwolist@sportsmen.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: People v. De La Guerra, 40 Cal. 311 (1870)

The Northwest Ordinance also uses the
nomenclature "citizen of _one of_ the
United States".  Author John S. Wise
explains how this could have meant
one and only one thing.  Pablo De La
Guerra was a judge who signed the
1849 California Constitution.  See:

"Studies in Constitutional Law:
 A Treatise on American Citzenship,"
 by John S. Wise, Edward Thompson Co. (1906)

                 [_emphasis_ added above]

The California Supreme Court held as follows:

"[Federal citizens] have not the political rights
 which are vested in citizens of the States. ...

"[Federal citizens] are not constituents
 of any community in which is vested any
 sovereign power of government.  Their
 position partakes more of the character
 of subjects than of citizens. ...

"... [T]he political rights of citizens
 they cannot enjoy until they are organized
 into a State, and admitted into the Union."

            De La Guerra supra, at 342

This case is quoted in "The Federal Zone,"
in Chapter 11.