Time: Tue Jul 22 21:17:17 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id VAA25136
	for [address in tool bar]; Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:14:52 -0700 (MST)
	by usr09.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id VAA02001;
	Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:13:35 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:13:06 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLF: DOJ defaults in Gilbertson appeal (unconfirmed)

We have an unconfirmed late report tonight
that the Department of Justice has defaulted
in the face of their July 18, 1997, deadline
either to file a REPLY BRIEF, or to request
an extension of time to file, in the Gilbertson
appeal now before the 8th Circuit Court of
Appeals in St. Louis.  I will try to confirm
this tomorrow.  It would help if several of us
were to call the Solicitor General's office in
D.C. tomorrow, and ask the same question:

Have you decided not to file a REPLY BRIEF
in the Gilbertson appeal to the 8th Circuit?

If they have decided against a REPLY BRIEF,
this is extremely significant, because it
means that they cannot rebut ANYTHING which
we wrote in Gilbertson's OPENING BRIEF.

Stay tuned!