Time: Tue Jul 29 19:43:55 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id TAA03298;
	Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:35:28 -0700 (MST)
	by usr01.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id TAA23526;
	Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:31:21 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:30:38 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLF: email and privacy -- a voluntary program

Eudora has a "blind copy" feature, which
we are trying to encourage people to use.
I used it to send this message to you.

I don't use Juno.  Does it, or does it not,
have a "blind copy" feature too?  If it
does not, then it can be used to violate
your privacy.  If someone CC's your email
address in a message directed to me, then
I will see your email address on my monitor,
and can use it to build a private email
list with your email address in it.  If the
original message had used "blind copy"
instead, then I wouldn't see your email
address on my monitor;  instead, I would
see "(recipient list suppressed)".  This
latter behavior is what we are now encouraging
people to adopt as a habit, or default, and
to avoid "Cc:" as a habit or default.

Thanks for understanding.  We are trying to
shift the responsibility to the senders,
rather than to "blame the messengers."

I am just a messenger here.