Time: Thu Jul 31 07:28:13 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id HAA14681;
	Thu, 31 Jul 1997 07:09:38 -0700 (MST)
	by usr02.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id HAA25170;
	Thu, 31 Jul 1997 07:07:53 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 07:07:07 -0700
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Marriage Penalty Tax

The ONLY liability provisions are those
which are imposed on withholding agents.
See list of statutes at the definition
of "withholding agent" at IRC 7701(a)(16).
The one holding the money is the only
one liable;  there are no other liability
statutes for subtitle A income taxes.
The regs at 26 CFR 1.1-1(a) et seq. are
overly broad for imposing liabilities
on classes of People who have no liability
by statute.