Time: Sun Aug 03 16:50:56 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id QAA24219;
	Sun, 3 Aug 1997 16:51:22 -0700 (MST)
	by usr09.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id QAA16838;
	Sun, 3 Aug 1997 16:50:43 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 16:49:54 -0700
To: liberty-and-justice@pobox.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Are we a country with a constitution or not?  (fwd)

The Constitution does not operate inside
the federal zone, according to the Downes
Doctrine, unless Congress wants it to.
It does operate inside the state zone, however,
and it can, and should, be enforced inside
the state zone.

Thus, Congress feels free to create whatever
form of government they want inside the federal
zone and for citizens of that zone, and they have
done so, by creating a legislative democracy,
in which public policy is supreme, NOT the
Constitution.  For some background, read
"The Two United States and the Law" in
the Supreme Law Library at the URL just
below my name here.  The income tax is
the best example, because Congress attempted
to impose this tax on the "worldwide income"
of all federal citizens, regardless of their
domicile.  See Cook v. Tait for authority;
and regs at 26 CFR 1.1-1(a) thru (c).  However,
there are no statutes which authorize the
liabilities defined in these regs.  For this
reason, Gilbertson has challenged these regs,
for being an overly broad extension of the
corresponding statutes in the IRC, but he
found it necessary to establish his status
very carefully, before he could lay claim to
the standing required to do so.

Read the Guarantee Clause very carefully.
It does NOT oblige the United States to guarantee
a Republican Form of Government for itself --
ONLY for the several states.  This now appears
to be a gaping loophole in the U.S. Constitution,
as far as fundamental Rights are concerned.

You will note also that the District of Columbia
has never joined the Union, and there is serious
doubt if they ever could, because the United States
has EXCLUSIVE legislative jurisdiction over the
federal zone.  See 1:8:17 and 4:3:2.  This means
that no state government can exist there, to compete
with the United States for jurisdiction over that zone.