Time: Tue Sep 16 20:52:31 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id UAA12994;
	Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:51:42 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:51:15 -0400
Originator: heritage-l@gate.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: pmitch@primenet.com
Subject: SLS: Direct and Indirect Taxes: the great misunderstood

Dear Mike and others,

Chapter 13 from "The Federal Zone" is now an
Exhibit in a pleading filed in the case of
USA v. Knudson, available in the Supreme Law Libary --
at the URL just below my name here.  This
chapter goes into some detail, to analyze
many of the questions you raise here.  Many cases
have ruled that "income" has the same statutory
meaning that it had in the original corporation
excise tax.  See Eisner v. Macomber, for example.

The "income," which was the measure of the tax
to which Brushaber objected, was the dividend
he was expecting to receive from a "domestic"
corporation.  Here, Congress can tax profit
generation by a domestic corporation, because
Congress created that corporation in the first
place.

However, Congress can only create a corporation
in its capacity as a legislature for the federal
zone;  it cannot create a "national" corporation,
because such an exercise would violate the
Tenth Amendment -- the several states reserved
their Right to create their own "domestic"
corporations.  So, the key to understanding
a major part of this deception is to appreciate
the true legal meaning of "domestic";  it does
NOT mean "American";  it DOES mean "within the
federal zone, where Congress and ONLY Congress,
is the State Legislature (because there is no
Union state to compete with Congress there)."

The Union Pacific Railroad Company is such a
corporation.  Brushaber was wrong to allege,
in his original pleadings, that UPRR was
"domestic" to Utah state;  Utah was a federal
territory at the time the UPRR was first
created -- BY ACT OF CONGRESS!!  Thus, the
30% tax (on Brushaber's dividend) was actually
a tax on the corporate privilege of generating
profit with limited liability;  the quantity of
income being taxed was merely the "measure" of
the tax, not the subject of the tax.  The "subject"
of that tax was the corporate privilege.  Congress
merely got to it before Brushaber did, because the
corporation, a creation of Congress, was the
withholding agent made liable by the tax in question.

All of this is explained in much greater detail
in Chapter 13 of "The Federal Zone," which chapter
is now available in the Supreme Law Library.