Time: Thu Aug 07 13:54:10 1997
	by usr08.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id JAA17043;
	Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:11:01 -0700 (MST)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 09:10:02 -0700
To: Eudora for Windows <eudora-win@wso.williams.edu>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Eudora table space limits

I have had this problem on and off, with
annoying regularity.  The problem grows
more likely as both IN.MBX and OUT.MBX
grow in size;  as the number of
subordinate mailboxes grows;  and as the
number of open windows grows.  So, do
the following, in this order:

1.  close all windows, then open ONLY the
    mailbox you want to read

2.  move your IN.MBX and OUT.MBX mail into
    archive mailboxes, and then rename the
    suffix from .FOL to .DIR, so that
    they are invisible to Eudora;  rename
    them to .FOL only as you need to access
    them;  you must do this renaming outside
    of Eudora, when Eudora is not executing

3.  put customer pressure on Qualcomm to
    remove these artificial limitations

As for item 2 above, I use IN.MBX and OUT.MBX
only for temporary staging, like a loading
and unloading dock;  my subordinate directory
structure is my "warehouse".  All outbound
email is moved monthly into an ARCHIVE
folder;  for example, all messages for August
of 1997 will get moved into:

  C:\EUDORA\ARCHIVE.FOL\970801.mbx

when September 1, 1997 arrives.

All of my inbound email is organized into
intermediate folders, using a one-letter
alphebetic index, e.g.:

  C:\EUDORA\A.FOL
  C:\EUDORA\B.FOL etc.

and I routinely change .FOL to .DIR, so
that the limited table space in Eudora is
not wasted and/or exhausted.

The long-term solution to these problems
is to re-program Eudora to accommodate
this "warehouse" design -- i.e., no logical
limits on the number and structure of
directories, sub-directories, and mailbox
files.  If DOS can do it, Eudora should be
able to do it.

Don't forget, companies like Western Digital
are, right now, shipping 5.1 gigabyte hard
disks, in 3.5" format, with the Ultra-DMA
throughput of 33MB/second.  This means that
a standard Intel-compatible PCI motherboard,
like ASUS, can easily support 20 gigabytes
(4 @ 5.1GB), wired directly to the motherboard,
addressed via FAT32.  These are very significant
developments in personal computers.

By comparison, I wrote the check for one gigabyte
of Control Data Corp. Winchester disks (3 @ 340MB),
and with tax and everything, that one gigabyte of HD
came to $25,000 in the year 1985  (ouch!).
Corbin Smith at Computers Plus tells me that
9-10GB EIDE Ultra-DMA hard disks are just around
the corner (12 to 24 months max.)

So, it is time we started writing software that
accommodates these enormous file stores.  If the
disk manufacturers keep up their blistering pace,
they will continue doubling, so their next leap
will be from 10 to 20 gigabytes, and so on.

See the trend?

>On 08:14 AM 8/6/97 -0400, the following was submitted for consideration by
Adam Kippes:
>>That's what it means... but don't you think it's a bit risky, not setting
>>any limit? What if I get mad at you? <g>
>
>So my question is are we talking about this option affecting downloading
or affecting opening?  I set it at no limit because I want all the mail
from my server to download first.  It does that fine.  So now that I have
it all downloaded, I want to read a message I see in the window, but it
won't let me.  The point is that I have set no limits, but Eudora obviously
thinks it knows better.  This option is on the Checking Mail page of the
options, so why is it screwing with the opening of a message that has been
on my drive for a few hours?