Time: Wed Oct 01 14:56:27 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id OAA11314;
	Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:55:07 -0700 (MST)
 with SMTP (Eudora Internet Mail Server 1.2); Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:55:51 -0400
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:09:46 -0700
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: COSCO ISSUE TELLS US WHO'S SIDE LEGISLATORS ARE ON (fwd)
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Host: http://ListServe.com, a service of Whole Systems Design, Inc.

Dear America,

This is from the "We Told You So Long Ago" Department ...

Read and weep (the sooner the better).  When you have
completed your normal cycle of grieving, contact us
for further ideas to preserve our vanishing freedoms.

Chinese sushi, anybody?  Perhaps they would consider
citing their abortion factories on airport property,
instead of citing them near those obnoxious diesel-
powered cargo ships, at Long Beach Harbor.

Yes, come visit the beautiful Port of Long Beach, one of
the finest all-weather seaports in the entire world,
and dine on fine Chinese mainland delicacies.  Tour the
expired fetal suspension tank, and witness vicious shark
feeding at its best, every hour on the hour.

[Designs by Monterey Saltine Aquaria, PC, Hong Kong.]
[Offer not available where prohibited by Law.]

"Yeeeeeez, ladiez and gentlemen, now for the latest
 hard acid rock -- brought to you by Shogun and the
 Laser Head Trips."

Spin it, Chuck E. Sukiyaki!!

>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>JON E. DOUGHERTY
>USA FEATURES MEDIA CO.
>
>COSCO ISSUE TELLS US WHO'S SIDE LEGISLATORS ARE ON
>
>	OCTOBER 1--The Washington Times reported yesterday that Sen.
>Charles Robb, D-VA, and Sen. Jame Inhofe, R-OK, are planning to oppose a
>measure passed in the House that would ban communist China's state-owned
>merchant marine line, COSCO, from ever operating on American shores.
>This, of course, has to do with the embattled Long Beach facility in
>California, for which this country once used as a powerful naval base --
>now lost to the nation via a recommendation by the Base Closure
>Commission a few years ago.
>
>	According to Sen. Inhofe's office, the provision addressing the
>COSCO deal is in the 1998 Defense Authorization Bill, and it contains
>language written by Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Ca., that Sen. Inhofe says will
>prohibit any foreign government from operating a merchant marine base on
>US shores.  And according to Sen. Robb's spokesmen, their boss backs the
>COSCO deal because even "the DoD [Department of Defense] doesn't think
>there is a security risk" in letting the huge Chinese shipping company
>set up shop in downtown America.  Sen. Robb's people also say that since
>both of California's senators, Boxer and Feinstein -- not what you would
>call 'national security experts'-- seem to think this deal is good, then
>what's the problem?
>
>	Well, none, if you're an idiot who cannot or will not see the
>obvious reasons for blowing this ship out of the water.
>
>	Regarding Sen. Inhofe's concerns, I think I speak for many
>Americans who wouldn't care if the US never leases one square foot of
>soil to a foreign shipping company.  Hence, the language in Rep. Hunter's
>amendment is not only prudent representation, but a wise decision that
>would benefit not just his constituents, but the entire country as well.
>
>	As far as Sen. Robb goes, listening to the diatribe of his
>staffers as they try to spin and downplay this outrage, you have to
>wonder which intelligence briefings he was sitting in on, and which
>Department of Defense report he read to determine that there was "no
>security threat" in allowing COSCO a foothold in the 'New World'.  They
>sure couldn't have been US-chaired briefings, because if they were, then
>he missed the parts where they explicitly stated that COSCO is a Chinese
>state-owned industry with ties to the People's Liberation Army.
>
>	No, I wasn't at those briefings, but judging from the public
>accounts of them made by Pentagon and US intelligence sources, I'd say it
>would be pretty easy to determine that they don't think this COSCO thing
>is a very good idea.  Besides, why does Sen. Robb need a
>military/intelligence briefing to decide this matter anyway? It doesn't
>take a Harvard degree in government to smell this stinkbait.  In fact,
>it's pretty simple.  It's a communist government-owned enterprise which
> [...]

Paul Andrew Mitchell, Sui Juris      : Counselor at Law, federal witness
                                     :
website: http://supremelaw.com       : visit the Supreme Law Library now