Time: Fri Aug 29 09:47:59 1997
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id HAA19334;
	Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:24:35 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:22:59 -0700
To: believer@telepath.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Beaten Haitian's Condition Worsens

Okay, everyone, how about some "political" action,
to raise consciousness about Mr. Louima plight?

You can choose between a toilet plunger,
and/or a garden rake.  Make sure they both
have wooden handles.

Buy one, or both, break it over your knee,
and send both ends, with sharp splinters
protruding, to the Mayor of New York City.

I think he will get the point.

If we were using the Old Testament to guide our
conduct, it would be:

  "A plunge for a plunge."

Yes?

I endorse the New Testament, however.

> [...]
>
>August 29, 1997
>
>Condition of Haitian in Beating Case Is Said
>to Worsen
>
>By JOHN KIFNER
>
>      NEW YORK -- The medical condition of Abner Louima, the Haitian
>      immigrant who has said he was brutalized by police officers in a
>Brooklyn precinct house, took a sharp turn for the worse on Thursday, and
>he was to undergo further surgery Thursday night.
>
>After Louima spent Wednesday night vomiting and suffering intense
>abdominal pain, Brooklyn Hospital changed his condition report from stable
>to critical. A member of his circle of advisers said he was ''in bad shape."
>
>At a news conference at the hospital early Thursday evening, Dr. Albert
>Duncan, the chairman of the department of surgery, said that "right now, it
>would be hard to speculate on his long-term condition." One problem doctors
>were grappling with was a blocked intestine caused by adhesions from the
>healing of his internal wounds.
>
>Police officers in the 70th Precinct, prosecutors have charged, tortured
>Louima, 30, in the bathroom of the station house, ramming a wooden stick
>up his rectum and causing severe internal injuries to his intestines and
>bladder.
>
>Louima's family, friends and lawyers rushed to the hospital when they
>received word of his worsening condition. His wife, Micheline, was seen
>leaving the hospital teary-eyed to get a bite to eat, but she would not speak
>to waiting reporters.
>
>Elaine Parisien, a Haitian woman visiting a friend at the hospital, said she
>saw Louima as he was being wheeled back to his room. "He was sleeping
>and tired and looked very sick," she said.
>
>Ms. Parisien hugged Louima's wife in the hospital corridor. ''I give her my
>support. I hold her. She makes me cry myself," Ms. Parisien said.
>
>Louima's faltering condition also put off a longed-for reunion with his
>daughter, Abnia Samantha, whom he has not seen in the seven years since
>he fled Haiti.
>
>The child was scheduled to arrive at Kennedy International Airport around 9
>p.m. Thursday night, even as Louima was in the operating room. Sanford
>Rubenstein, one of Louima's lawyers, said that Louima had told him his
>daughter's journey strengthened him.
>
>"It makes my heart feel better," Rubenstein quoted Louima as saying.
>
>Louima was arrested in a street scuffle that began with a fight between two
>women in a crowd outside a Flatbush nightclub early in the morning of Aug.
>9. It took four days for the story to reach the public, but when it did, it
>shocked the city.
>
>On Friday, Haitian leaders are planning to march from Grand Army Plaza in
>Brooklyn to City Hall in Manhattan to protest police brutality. Several
>thousand participants are expected.
>
>Police Officer Justin Volpe has been charged by the Brooklyn district
>attorney's office with wielding the stick in the attack on Louima, and
Officer