Time: Sun Sep 07 10:31:50 1997
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id KAA06575;
	Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:28:44 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 10:28:37 -0700
To: GalactusNT <rsilvetz@erols.com>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: locating the Clerk of Court

Here is what I would do:

1.  go to Title 28, to the chapter
    which defines district courts
    for each state of the Union
    (Chapter 5);

2.  find the statute which creates
    the district courts for your state,
    28 U.S.C. 122 is for South Dakota;

3.  read down to see if there are
    regional divisions, e.g. "WD"
    usually means "Western Division",
    this is 122(4): counties of Bennett,
    Butte, Custer, Fall River, Harding,
    Jasckson, Lawrence, Meade, Pennington,
    Perkins, and Shannon;

4.  locate that subsection in the statute,
    and see which cities host that court:
    "Court for the Western Division shall be
     held at Deadwood and Rapid City";

5.  call directory assistance in each of
    those cities to get the telephone
    numbers for the Clerks:  e.g. ask for the
    United States District Court in that city;

6.  pick one and call that Clerk:  e.g. Rapid City;

7.  ask the Clerk if they are the custodians
    of record for the case in question.

There you have it!