Time: Fri Sep 05 17:22:53 1997
	by usr01.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id PAA13670;
	Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:53:43 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:53:41 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Reservations to International Covenant on Civil and
  Political Rights

"Resolved, (two-thirds of the Senators present
concurring therein), That the Senate advise and
consent to the ratification of the International
Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, adopted
by the United Nations General Assembly on
December 16, 1966, and signed on behalf of the
United States on October 5, 1977, (Executive E, 95-2),
subject to the following Reservations,
Understandings, Declarations and Proviso:

II.  The Senate's advice and consent is subject to
the following understandings, which shall apply
to the obligations of the United States under
this Covenant:

(5)  That the United States understands that this
Covenant shall be implemented by the Federal
Government to the extent that it exercises legislative
and judicial jurisdiction over the matters covered
therein, and otherwise by the state and local
governments;  to the extent that state and local
governments exercise jurisdiction over such matters,
the Federal Government shall take measures appropriate
to the Federal system to the end that the competent
authorities of the state or local governments may
take appropriate measures for the fulfillment of
the Covenant."

Respectfully submitted,