Time: Wed Sep 03 00:12:31 1997
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id VAA12117;
	Wed, 3 Sep 1997 21:50:07 -0700 (MST)
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 21:50:06 -0700
To: liberty-and-justice@pobox.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: The law says WHAT? (fwd)

The withholding agent is liable for any
taxes withheld, but they are liable to
the United States, not to the worker.

If a company is acting as a withholding
agent withOUT authorization, they become
liable for fraud and conversion, to the
worker.

To hold them harmless, as against the latter
liability, would constitute a waiver
of your right to sue them for this tort.

I would recommend against it, frankly.

Absent a valid W-4, the only other
authorization which sanctions withholding,
is a court order, which comes at the end
of due process of law, pursuant to the
Fifth Amendment.  See IRC 3402(p), and
the regulations promulgated pursuant to
this whole section.