Time: Tue Sep 23 17:01:01 1997
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:59:13 -0700
To: rharris@mail.telis.org
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in toolbar]
Subject: more good news!
Cc: supremelaw@ibm.net

Okay, Reed, put your thinking cap on!

Rather than to support 3 disconnected
PC's, I decided to replace my aging
Dell 466/T tower machine with the new
custom 586/200 with 10GB of Western Digital
Ultra-DMA hard disk, so that you can
have the Dell 486 for anything you like.

Here are the current specs on this Dell:

Intel 80486 CPU, 66 MHz, 16MB RAM
1 @ 1.6GB Western Digital hard disk (5 months old & flawless)
1 @ 340MB Western Digital hard disk (4+ years old & flawless)
5.25" floppy drive (original equipment)
 3.5" floppy drive (original equipment)
2 parallel ports (LPT1, LPT2)
  (second LPT is on a SIIG add-in card)
4 serial ports (COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4)
  (COM3 & COM4 are a SIIG add-in card)
Radio Shack mouse (after market)
Dell mouse (original equipment)
U.S. Robotics 33.6 Faxmodem (4 months old)
DOS 6.22
Windows 3.11
the real-time clock is defective
 (it gains about 4 hours every 24)

This machine was $5,000 brand new in the
summer of 1993 (without monitor);  I have
added much additional hardware, over the years,
e.g. 1.6GB Western Digital.

This new drive is assigned to C:, and the
340MB Western Digital was demoted to D:,
thus providing redundancy.  If you like,
we can replace the aging 340MB Western
Digital with an identical 1.6GB Western Digital,
so you can mirror certain directories.  You would
need to pay for the new 1.6GB drive, however.
Alternatively, we can add a 1.6GB as D:, and
demote the 340MB to E:.  There is currently
no CD-ROM in this machine, however.

Here is what I would like to do for you:

Assuming that I can move all the key data
files onto the new machine, using Brooklyn
Bridge over a parallel connection, then
we can re-build/re-condition this Dell
for you, and it should have another 2-3 years
of good life left.  Even if you want to migrate
to 586 machines with Windows 95/OSR2, you
can continue to use this Dell for a printer
server/fax server/web server/comm server/etc.

So, here is my plan:

We will give the machine to Computers Plus
in Tucson, to make the following changes,
without rushing their schedule:

You will supply a color terminal compatible
with the following finished upgrade:

increase RAM to 32MB
fix minor glitch in COM4 (probably a wrong jumper)
install new video card, compatible with Win95/OSR2 drivers
install a parallel ZIP drive, on LPT2
re-format both hard disks with FAT16 (FAT32 won't work ;)
install Windows 95/OSR2, running FAT16 partitions (uncompressed)
move key data files back to newly formatted hard disks
  (e.g. SLL website, at a minimum)

ship you the following components:

32MB Dell 486/T with Intel 486/66MHz processor
original extended ISA motherboard, with 8 ISA slots (I think :)
new video card, per your terminal specification
brand new Pro Key 124 programmable keyboard
brand new 420VA TrippLite UPS (20 min. backup @ half-load)
Dell and Radio Shack mice (mouses?)
Iomega 100MB ZIP external ZIP drive, on LPT2
U.S. Robotics 33.6 external Sporster Faxmodem
cabling for above

We can talk about software later, but right now
I am focused on getting my huge database to migrate
onto the new 586/10GB.  This machine will be set-up
in a stand-alone mode, until I am sure that Brooklyn
Bridge will work to transfer files in high-speed
parallel mode.   If and when I get this working,
then every file current on the Dell will have been
moved to the 586/10GB, at which time we can then
do the upgrade described above.

I am fairly sure we can do all of this before Thanksgiving,
so the machine would be ready for me to bring with me;
or better yet, we can have it shipped to you direct
from Computers Plus.  In the latter case, we can insure
it for $5,000 or so, and then we are covered in case
of loss or accident.  Computers Plus are really experts
with all of this stuff, so you will be in good hands.

Give all of this some serious thinking.  If there are
any other specials you would want installed on this
machine, this would be the time to place the work order
with Computers Plus.  You will be very happy with their
work, believe me.  For example, they can advise you as
to your real options for fixing the bad real-time clock,
e.g. new 586 motherboard (?)

That's all for now.

copy:  Corbin Smith, Computers Plus, Tucson
       tel:  (520) 326-5900
       fax:  (520) 326-0748

p.s. Please acknowledge receipt of this message.

Paul Andrew Mitchell, Sui Juris      : Counselor at Law, federal witness
                                     :
email:   [address in toolbar]        : using Eudora Pro 3.0.3 on 586 CPU
website: http://supremelaw.com       : visit the Supreme Law Library now