Time: Fri Oct 17 21:03:00 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id UAA18311;
	Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:55:01 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:54:39 -0400
Originator: heritage-l@gate.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: pmitch@primenet.com
Subject: SLS: Pablo De La Guerra

The WHOLE point of quoting Judge De La Guerra
is his brilliant insight into the proper
construction, and common understanding,
of the term:

    "Citizen of the United States" [sic]

in the Qualifications Clauses, which
term he correctly interprets to mean:

    "Citizen of ONE OF the States United"

This is also the nomenclature which was
used in the Northwest Ordinance, which
was written at approximately the same
time as the U.S. Constitution.  Thus, adding
"ONE OF" provides an essential clue to the
proper construction and common understanding
of this term.  See also Ex Parte Knowles,
5 Cal. 300 (1855).

If you want to go running off at 90 degrees
to the main point here, don't let me stop
you.