Time: Wed Oct 22 20:39:46 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id UAA10257;
	Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:38:12 -0700 (MST)
	by smtp02.primenet.com (8.8.7/8.8.7) id UAA28697;
	Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:29:33 -0700 (MST)
 via SMTP by smtp02.primenet.com, id smtpd028686; Wed Oct 22 20:29:30 1997
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:30:21 -0700
To: goshawk3@juno.com (John W McPherson)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLF: Petition for ORDER to Reno to Show Cause [DRAFT]

I must chuckle a little bit that so many
Internet activists equate "treaty" with
"United Nations."  The treaty power
predates the UN by many decades.  Treaties
have been recognized as supreme Law, ever
since the Supremacy Clause was first enacted.

Moreover, the human rights treaties we are
citing, guarantee effective judicial remedies,
notwithstanding that violations were
committed by persons acting in their
official capacities.  There is nothing
in these provisions which involves the U.N.

As a matter of fact, Congress expressly
reserved to localities, legal standing to compel
the federal government to obey these provisions.

It is clear that the several states were intended
by the term "locality," NOT some international
or world government.  So, the knee-jerk
association -- of treaty with U.N. -- is totally
misplaced and totally off-point, imho.

Is it possible that these mis-associations
are deliberate, in order to dissuade people
from even bothering to read the treaties
in question?

I answer, "You bet!"

For some background, see the DRAFT NOTICE OF
TREATY VIOLATIONS in the case of State v. Kemp,
now loaded in the Supreme Law Library at the
URL just below my name here:

copy:  Supreme Law School