Time: Tue Oct 28 07:05:17 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id HAA01652;
	Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:03:56 -0700 (MST)
	by smtp03.primenet.com (8.8.7/8.8.7) id HAA15116;
	Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:01:54 -0700 (MST)
 via SMTP by smtp03.primenet.com, id smtpd015093; Tue Oct 28 07:01:45 1997
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:02:02 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in toolbar] (by way of Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar])
Subject: SLL: more on Paul Mitchell's letter to Bill Gates

TO:  Bill Scivally, Owner
     Cyber Exchange
     Tucson, Arizona state
     http://azcyberexchange.com

Dear Bill & company,

I wanted to thank you for your patience
with me, as I blew steam last night.

You did not know that this outburst was the
accumulation of 15 years of mounting frustration
with Microsoft Corporation.

I have been a systems development consultant
for 26+ years, and the most notable work on
my resume dates back to the original super
minicomputers which first offered true
virtual memory management.  These memory
solutions were robust, and sophisticated.

Why it has taken Bill Gates so long to
re-invent these wheels, I will perhaps
never know.

Our greatest claim to success was a hybrid
batch/interactive machine which had a good
batch language, coupled with a variety of
batch scheduling queues.  This hybrid design
helped occupy the CPU for 70% of clock time,
including weekends, nights, and holidays.

This was an industry record for such a machine.

We did this with 45 demanding users, on a
1 MIP CPU with only 2 megabytes of RAM!

I know, because I was the Director of Computing
for this system.

The thought of ever forcing our users (all degreed
scientists and engineers) to abandon working
features, merely because a new version of the
operating system was available, would have been
totally unthinkable to everyone in our company,
including the hardware and operating system vendor.

But, of course, the new monopolies of the world
now expect us to think otherwise.

I am thankful to you for your patience with me,
and I do hope we can work together more in the
very near future.

Sincerly yours,

/s/ Paul Mitchell

Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S.
Counselor at Law, federal witness,
and private attorney general

p.s.  Please give my best regards to your
assistant.  I do appreciate her help
with the problems we discussed.

copy:  Team SL, Supreme Law Library
       development team