Time: Sat Nov 29 11:32:12 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id LAA10970
	for <pmitch@smtp-local.primenet.com>; Sat, 29 Nov 1997 11:02:44 -0700 (MST)
	by smtp04.primenet.com (8.8.7/8.8.7) id LAA02191;
	Sat, 29 Nov 1997 11:00:01 -0700 (MST)
 via SMTP by smtp04.primenet.com, id smtpd002172; Sat Nov 29 10:59:52 1997
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 10:59:58 -0800
To: Phyllis Keys <pkeys@qn.net>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Fails to state a claim.

If you were in a small claims court,
for example, and the plaintiff was
charging you with murder in the first
degree, this complaint would constitute
a claim upon which relief could not
be granted, because that court is not
competent to try such a matter.

Each claim must be capable of being cognized,
or "re-cognized" by the court which has
been petitioned.  Thus, as your first
line of defense, you would respond that
the small claims court has been asked to
adjudicate a claim which cannot be cognized
by that particular court;  in other words,
it cannot grant any relief whatsoever, because
it has no jurisdiction whatsoever to do so.

Courts can only grant relief, if they have
original or appellate jurisdiction over the
subject matter.

It is incumbent upon the Plaintiff(s), therefore,
to select the correct court of original
jurisdiction, as distinct from appellate
jurisdiction (i.e. the court which has power
to hear appeals from the court of original
jurisdiction).

Thus, "fails to state a claim upon which
relief can be granted [by this court,
because this court cannot grant relief
over this subject matter in the first
instance.]"

In federal courts, it is very easy, because
jurisdiction over every subject matter must
be granted to specific court(s) by Acts of
Congress, with the exception of Article III
judicial power courts, which obtain their
authority from the "Arising Under" Clause
in the U.S. Constitution, i.e.  "arising
under the constitution, law, and treaties
of the United States."  These latter courts
would be the District Courts of the United
States ("DCUS").

In state courts, the courts of most general
and most powerful original jurisdiction
are the Superior Courts, aka District Courts
of [Alabama, Alaska, Arizona ... Wyoming].
Their original jurisdictions are granted
by their respective state constitutions,
governed by the Tenth Amendment in chief,
and certain human rights treaties, pursuant
to the Supremacy Clause.

Does this help?