Time: Wed Nov 27 08:08:39 1996
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 07:51:49 -0800
To: libertylaw@www.ultimate.org
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: LLAW: U.S. v. Troescher

LIBERTY LAW - CROSS THE BAR & MAKE YOUR PLEA - FIRST VIRTUAL COURT, USA
Presiding JOP: Tom Clark, Constable: Robert Happy, Clerk: Kerry Rushing

>> Ralph,
>>
>> What say you of the Privileges
>> and Immunities Clause (4:2:1)?
>>
>> /s/ Paul Mitchell
>>

>If I might interject, the privileges and immunities clause provides that
>states may not deny life, liberty or property rights to persons within
>the state which they secure to citizens of that state. The privileges and
>immunities clause of Sec. 1 of the 14th Amendment provided the same
>protection to freedmen (blacks).

This provision is proof of two classes
of citizens, because otherwise there
would have been no need to repeat
the gurantee.  Of course, the 14th
was never lawfully ratified.  See
Dyett v. Turner.

/s/ Paul Mitchell

>But life, liberty and property are basic rights predating the
>constitution, and the "privileges" referred to in the phrase "privileges
>and immunities" should not be confused with government-created "privileges."
>
>--Andrew Lehr

Very good!

"Congress ... cannot by legislation alter the
Constitution, from which alone it derives
its power to legislate, and within whose
limitations alone that power can be lawfully
exercised."

  Eisner v. Macomber, U.S. Supreme Court

Thus, the term "privileges and immunities"
enjoys constitutional protection, because
it is found in the Organic Constitution
for the United States of America. Congress
can do nothing to alter this phrase.  The
privileges which Congress creates are not
embraced by it.

They