Time: Wed Nov 27 09:11:56 1996
          with NJE id 2418 for AZRKBA@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU; Wed, 27 Nov 1996
          08:03:18 -0700
          V1.2a/1.8a) with BSMTP id 9648; Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:03:18 -0700
          Wed, 27 Nov 96 08:03:17 MST
          by primenet.com (8.8.3/8.8.3) with SMTP id IAA28641 for
          <AZRKBA@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>; Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:07:00 -0700 (MST)
Date:         Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:07:17 -0800
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject:      Troubling Times
To: Multiple recipients of list AZRKBA <AZRKBA@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>

If you are getting a refund, you are paying
taxes, because they were withheld from your
pay check, and you "overpaid."

When I ask people how much they paid in
federal incomes taxes last year, one of the
most frustrating answers is, "Oh, I didn't
pay anything;  I got money back."

Now, ask yourself who got the money that was
withheld.  Do you know the answer?  And how
was that money spent?  Do you know the answer?

The depth of our ignorance is shocking at times.

>>When people think of taxes, they think of income tax.  Lots of folks "don't
>>pay any taxes", that is, they don't pay income tax and may even get a
>>"refund" of taxes they didn't pay.

Objection.  See above.

 They know that there are sales taxes but
>>are so accustomed to them that they give them no thought.  $0.185 per
>>gallon federal tax on gasoline?  Hidden in the pump price.

Not hidden.  It's written on
most gas pumps now.

 They don't
>>realize how much the taxes on everything from telephone service to cable TV
>>and airline tickets add up.
>
>In the land of "double coupons" and "instant rebates..." well, I guess we
>shouldn't be surprised.
>

>>All it takes to be sustainable at these exorbitant tax rates is a lot of
>>ignorant people and a sizeable constituency of persons who receive more
>>than they pay in.  We've got that already.
>
>Yup.
>
>Proposal for a new law: we should all get to write one check per year for
>our individual share of the tax burden.  _No_ governmental entity may
>collect anything for any reason except that it comes thru that one payment.
>
>Ole Joe Sixpack will truly come off'n his couch when he realizes the _true_
>cost of government.

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan