Time: Sat Feb 01 05:46:13 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id FAA07031;
	Sat, 1 Feb 1997 05:15:41 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 05:21:01 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SCREEN1 and SCREEN2

>Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 05:19:39 -0800
>From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
>Subject: attached files
>
>At 11:49 PM 1/31/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Paul,
>>I can not figure out the attachments you sent today.
>>Screen 1 and Screen 2.
>>It is all X's.  Is that what it is supposed to be?
>>I don't understand what you are trying to do.
>>[Anonymous]
>

>Hi Clients,
>
>When you look through a screen door,
>you normally see the scene outside,
>beyond the screen door.  For a moment
>today, find a screen door and focus
>on the screen itself.  Then, come
>close to it, until you see the matrix
>pattern of horizontal and vertical
>wires.  These wires frame "holes,"
>which are like space holders -- places
>where you would put characters.  I use
>this model in my head when I write
>briefs:  I have decided against using
>any proportional fonts, because they
>are more trouble than they are worth.
>I write all my briefs with a DOS-based
>word processor, because of all the trouble
>I have had with Windows graphical user
>interfaces ("GUI") -- too many General
>Protection Faults ("GPF").  Using my DOS-based
>word processor, the standard character font
>is Courier 12, which is a non-proportional
>font which maps perfectly into my "screen"
>model.  I am simply dropping characters into
>the place holders, namely, the holes in the
>matrix formed by the horizontal and vertical
>lines.  I have simulated those holes with
>"X's" in the two files I have sent to you.
>The first one frames the margins which are
>preferred by the U.S. Supreme Court:  0.75
>inch top and bottom;  1.60 inches on the
>left (leaving room for line numbers);  and
>0.40 inch on the right margin.  This produces
>57 lines of 65 characters each.  In the
>second screen I sent to you, I started to
>carve out spaces for the essentials, such as
>the name of the pleader, name of the court,
>and the rest of the caption.  One way to
>play with these screens is to print them,
>and then to mark them with a yellow marker,
>to identify where certain things should go.
>For example, the court name begins on line 16
>(or line 8, if you are double-spacing each
>line).
>
>Try it!
>
>There will be more coming, as time permits.
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>/s/ Paul Mitchell

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
Web site for the Supreme Law Firm  is URL: http://www.supremelaw.com
Ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan