Time: Thu Feb 06 07:31:18 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA02896;
	Fri, 7 Feb 1997 06:44:20 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 07:29:59 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: ST. JOHN THREE-VOLUME SET

<snip>

>You are there--with Thomas Jefferson, Sam Adams, Patrick Henry,
>James Madison, Ben Franklin, and George Washington
>
>CONSTITUTION JOURNAL
>A CHILD OF FORTUNE and
>FORGE OF UNION/ANVIL OF LIBERTY
>by Jeffrey St. John
>(reviewed by Jim Powell)
>
>This trilogy, the cap of the late Jeffrey St. John's
>distinguished journalism career, tells the epic story of how the
>Constitution was hammered out, how it was ratified, how the
>federal government got started and how the Bill of Rights was
>secured.
>
>Writing as if he were a reporter filing dispatches, St. John puts
>you right there amidst historic struggles and debates.  You'll
>meet unforgettable characters and feel the tension as they fight
>for their most cherished ideas.  You'll hear Patrick Henry's
>spellbinding oratory.  You'll see George Washington outwit the
>wily Massachusetts governor John Hancock (once known as "the
>Prince of Smugglers").
>
>Thomas Jefferson was American Minister in Paris while the
>Constitution was drafted and ratified, but St. John tells how he
>made his moral influence felt through a succession of eloquent
>letters.  Jefferson denounced the shameful secrecy of the
>Constitutional Convention, saying "I am sorry they began their
>deliberations by so abominable a precedent as that of tying up
>the tongues of their members."  After Colonel Alexander Hamilton,
>the New York lawyer, expressed his admiration for monarchy,
>Jefferson scowled: "I am astonished at some people's considering
>a kingly Government as a refuge...  Send them to Europe to see
>something of the trappings of monarchy, and I will undertake that
>every man shall go back thoroughly cured."  And when Jefferson
>read a draft of the Constitution, he insisted that "a bill of
>rights is what the people are entitled to against every
>government on earth... "
>
>St. John shows how the Constitution surprised everybody.  Voters
>had sent Convention delegates to revise the Articles of
>Confederation, but they trashed it.  Although at least 30 of the
>55 delegates owned slaves, the Constitution called for abolishing
>the slave trade in 20 years.  The thin, soft-spoken Virginian
>James Madison was hailed as the "architect of the Constitution,"
>but he made one proposal after another which the Convention
>rejected.  For instance, he thought the executive branch ought to
>be combined with the judiciary, he was opposed to the idea of
>giving each state equal representation in the Senate, he didn't
>want the House originating money bills, and he objected to
>Congress having power to impeach the President.
>
>There are dramatic moments aplenty.  For example, St. John
>reports how the Constitutional Convention was near collapse on
>July 3, 1787 when the ailing Benjamin Franklin suggested a
>breakthrough compromise.  St. John tells how Patrick Henry and
> [...]

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
Web site for the Supreme Law Firm  is URL: http://www.supremelaw.com
Ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan