Time: Thu Feb 13 07:43:19 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id BAA22781;
	Thu, 13 Feb 1997 01:02:03 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:37:38 -0800
To: Arthur Sobey <sobeyit@trip.net>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: taxing the Internet

The Internet should be taxed in a voluntary
fashion, with users assessing themselves
at the rate of so many pennies per minute
of local access time.  This money would be
split 50/50 between NASA-adminstered low-orbit
transponder development, and the purchase of
high-volume, low-cost Internet workstations
for public grammar, high school, and community
college workshops in Internet usage, programming,
and new paradigms in distance learning technologies.
Local carriers would be encouraged to enclose
instructions for touch-tone dialing into menus
which allow users to choose the voluntary tax
they wish to pay, which would be activated
automatically by the billing programs of the
local carriers.  The user would have the option
to tax connect time, at a flat rate per minute, or to tax
transmission volume, at a flat rate per kilobyte.
The tax rate could also vary, depending on whether
transmission volumes are inbound or outbound.

This is just one idea.  I have lots of other
ideas.

/s/ Paul Mitchell

At 12:41 AM 2/13/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Arthur Sobey wrote:
>>
>> Dear Sir,
>>
>> Any action aimed at limiting internet access for American citizens
>> should be viewed as frivolous. If anything, phone companies should be
>> directed to charge internet service providers the absolutely lowest
>> possible fees in order to ensure the cheapest possible internet access
>> for all Americans.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Arthur R Sobey
>> Contact Info

email:       [address in tool bar]   : using Eudora Pro 3.0 on 80586 CPU