Time: Sat Mar 15 12:58:11 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id KAA18769;
	Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:49:33 -0700 (MST)
	id MAA23517; Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:44:01 -0500 (EST)
	id MAA23507; Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:43:59 -0500 (EST)
	id AA13988; Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:43:58 -0500
	by usr10.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id KAA12062;
	Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:43:56 -0700 (MST)
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id KAA04103;
	Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:43:27 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:41:19 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: SNET: Residents say NO to China in Long Beach (fwd)

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

Oh, *I* get it now.

This is ALL a false alarm.

It is COSTCO, not COSCO, that is renting the
Long Beach Naval Shipyard, and they plan to
build a re-creation of the famous Pacific Ocean
Park ("POP") pier and whopping great roller coaster
ride, which you must do with your hands in the air.

Every body okay go home now (no ma shi).

False alarm.  Put down those AK-47's.

/s/ Paul Mitchell
(long ride off short pier now, hai:)

((oops.  wrong island.  sorry, Mao.))

><snip>
>>RESIDENTS WORRY ABOUT SECURITY
>>WITH CHINESE SHIPPERS AT OLD BASE SITE
>>
>>By Scott Lindlaw
>> Associated Press Writer
>>
>>March 13, 1997
>>

>>LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - Worried about drug and gun smuggling,
>>residents came out in force to oppose the city's plan to lease a
>>closed Navy base here to a Chinese shipping company.
>>
>>Mage Fixler of Ventura said authorities only check one in 80
>>containers passing through the port.
>>
>>"Who knows what they could bring in," she said. "More AK-47s?
>>Drugs? ... Chemical weapons?"
>>
>>More than 800 people filled the City Council Chamber and overflow
>>rooms Wednesday night to oppose the plan to lease the base to COSCO,
>>the China Ocean Shipping Co., which has operated at the adjacent port
>>of Long Beach for 15 years.
>>
>>Some opponents carried signs that read: "Not one square foot of
>>American soil for China" and "Just say No red China."
>>
>>The shipping company "is directly connected to the national
>>defense force of China. We don't know if they intend any hostile
>>actions in the future or not," said Aaron Johnson of Torrance.
>>
>>"I beg you to stop this. You are endangering American citizens,"
>>he added.
>>
>>The Long Beach Naval Station was shut down in 1994. The Long Beach
>>Board of Harbor Commissioners and the Navy have approved the plan to
>>turn the base over to COSCO.
>>
>>But last week, a Superior Court judge ordered harbor commissioners
>>to hold more hearings to reconsider the project. Port of Long Beach
>>spokeswoman Yvonne Avila said a decision could come as early as March
>>24.
>>
>>COSCO ships have been involved in several recent controversies,
>>including being investigated for arms smuggling and safety violations,
>>and one of the ships crashed into a crowded boardwalk in New Orleans
>>in December.
>>
>>An Associated Press story Sunday on the base's future followed a
>>report that at least six members of Congress received a classified
>>FBI briefing last year warning that China might try to gain influence
>>in Washington by giving money to politicians, possibly through
>>intermediaries.
>>
>>The AP also reported earlier this week that President Clinton met
>>twice with Long Beach officials to push the plan forward. Among those
>>at one of the meetings was Carmen Perez, a harbor commissioner and a
>>former vice chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee. Perez
>>listened to speakers at Wednesday's hearing but did not comment.
>>
>>Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer said Tuesday they wanted
>>National Security Adviser Samuel R. Berger and Defense Secretary
>>William Cohen to review the plan.
>>
>>The AP reported that the White House assisted in the plan,
>>apparently without seeking a national security review.
>>
>>The Long Beach Press-Telegram reported today that city officials
> [...]

->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]