Time: Sun Mar 16 06:33:44 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA15532;
	Sun, 16 Mar 1997 06:15:37 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 06:29:08 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: Arms Smuggled thru port of Long Beach

        Awaken Gentle Giant

Oh, sleeping giant, come gently to awaken
to the rush of weapons flowing through
your ports, beneath Lady Liberty and
all across this land, even unto the calm
Pacific sea.  Come now to awaken to your
future, rushing towards you like a madness
to be tamed.  From sea to shining sea, let
the People arise, and cast this evil into
those very same seas, forever, in a day.
Amen.

> [...]
>Mexico turned up in a warehouse outside San Diego, a U.S. Customs
>agent said Friday.
>
>Thousands of unassembled grenade launchers and M-2 carbines were
>discovered by a warehouse worker, who alerted Customs inspectors.
>The arms were packed in two cargo containers measuring 20 feet long
>and 8 feet wide that were discovered last weekend.
>
>A spokesman for the service said it could be the largest cache of arms
>ever found in the United States.
>
>"I can't recall anything that big," said Louis Semon, Customs spokesman
>in San Diego.
>
>John Mallamo, assistant special agent, said Customs is investigating the
>shipment tracking both foreign and domestic leads.
>
>"We have a number of leads out nationwide as well as at some of our
>attache offices overseas," he said.  He declined to say which offices
>were participation in the investigation.
>
>Shipping documents listed the contents as strap hangers and hand tools.
>
>Mallamo said ships are subject to random searches and shippers must
>submit documents listing ship contents.
>
>"Unforturnately we cannot inspect each and every container." said
>Mallamo.  "We have to accept that what is on those documents is a
>representation of what is in that cargo."
>
>The weapons were unassembled, with some pieces absent, making it clear
>that some of the shipment was missing.  Customs agents believe six truck
>loads of arms were expected, indicating that four might already have
>slipped through.
>
>The shipment first reported by The San Diego Union-Tribune, moved through
>the Long Beach harbor and down a freeway to the Otay Mesa border crossing.
>
>In another development related to the Long Beach port, two California
>congressmen have asked the Navy to delay transferring an old military
>base to the Long Beach harbor, which plans to lease it to a shipping
>company owned by the Chinese government.
>
>Rep. Randy Cunningham and Rep. Duncan Hunter, both Republicans told Navy
>Secretary John Dalton, in a letter that national security and
>congressional investigations should be conducted first.
>
>The lawmakers also asked the House Committee on Government Reform and
>Oversight to investigate the circumstances surrounding the lease
>agreement between the Long Beach harbor authority and the China Ocean
>Shipping Co. (COSCO).
>
>On Sunday, The Associated Press reported that the historic Navy base,
>shuttered by military cutbacks, was about to be leased to COSCO under an
>agreement assisted by the White House.  The deal went forward without a
>national security review.
>
>AP reported that a COSCO ship transported 2,000 illegal weapons into
>California last year and that the company was involved in several other
>recent controversies.
>
>The arms-laden containers discovered last weekend outside San Diego were
>not shipped by COSCO, said Customs source who requested anonymity.

<snip>