Time: Mon Apr 14 22:53:33 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id QAA19198
	for [address in tool bar]; Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:02:56 -0700 (MST)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 22:42:43 -0700
To: liberty-and-justice@pobox.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: Re: L&J: Tax Liability

Very good point:  notice that they
are buried near the end of the Code,
and not at the beginning, where you
would logically expect them to be.

The opening qualification is a gem:

"... where not otherwise distinctly expressed
 or manifestly incompatible with the intent
 thereof -- ...."

This qualifier applies to ALL definitions
in IRC Section 7701(a) et seq.,

BUT ...

try to find any mention of "intent" [sic].

I'll tell you what the "intent" is:

         D-E-C-E-P-T-I-O-N

Another infamous one is the qualification
at IRC 7701(c):

"The terms 'includes' and 'including' when used
 in a definition contained in this title shall
 not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise
 within the meaning of the term defined."

Clear as mud, yes?

Notice that the term "include" is not mentioned;
notice also that "not ... exclude" is a double negative.
And, the finale, how does something join the class
of things which are "otherwise within the meaning of the term
defined" [sic] if they are not mentioned in the definitions
provided?

Put THAT in your pipe, and smoke it (when DEA isn't
looking over your shoulder).

If you think Treasury went nuts when they wrote this,
you would probably be right.  They are still working
furiously to compute the number of angels which can
waltz on the head of a syringe.  The answer is called
a Code of Federal Regulation.

"Federal Regulation"  -- get it?  :(