Time: Sun Apr 20 11:55:45 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id KAA02073;
	Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:50:36 -0700 (MST)
	id NAA28595; Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:39:38 -0400 (EDT)
	id NAA28583; Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:39:36 -0400 (EDT)
	id AA16011; Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:39:34 -0400
	by usr09.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id KAA25793
	for <snetnews@world.std.com>; Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:39:31 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:36:51 -0700
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SNET: Life's American Heroes.

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

Why don't we do our own list, in two steps:

1.  Nominations will be submitted to a
    volunteer election officer, for a
    period of 90 days, say.

2.  At the end of 90 days, we will tally
    our own votes, and publish the results.

What are your thoughts on this proposal?

p.s.  Did anybody buy the magazine, and
read the story on page 68?  That little
girl is my choice for #1.

At 04:55 PM 4/21/97 GMT, you wrote:

>->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
>

>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:27:46 -0400, "Douglas M. Hutton"
><dhutton@capecod.net> wrote:
>
>)
>)->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
>)
>)I would have loved to be at the Editorial Board table when they came up
>)with those 25 names. For one thing, I'll give terrific odds that well
>)over 50% of Americans wouldn't know numbers 5, 8, 9 and 13 through 23.
>)Today they might know Jackie Robinson because of the media focus.  But
>)they didn't know last week --- and probably won't remember a month from
>)now.  And any rational coverage of the Jackie Robinson should have given
>)earned credit to Branch Rickey.  That Bible-quoting, middle-aged,
>)wealthy white male Republican who ignored the other owners, the League,
>)the vast majority of the players and many, many fans and brought Jackie
>)into the game. But that sort of person is assuredly not P.C.  If
>)Robinson was the arrow skewering bigotry in professional baseball, Ricky
>)was the man with the bow!
>)
>)I could ramble on about some of the other selections...but let's just
>)pick one. Margaret Sanger.  On the list, why?  Because she enjoys the
>)support of Liberals.  Due to her work in founding Planned Parenthood.
>)An idol.  A goddess.  Right!  And an outspoken advocate of euthanasia
>)with regard to mental defectives and persons of "inferior" races.
>)Buddy, buddy with Hitler and his henchmen. Some "Hero" for America!!!
>
>I fully agree
>This is the reason that I haven't bought a copy of Life since sometime in
>the 60s (didn't they go out of business for awhile?)
>too damned liberal
>I certainly will NOT buy this issue either!
>
>my opinion YMMV
>cheers
>chas
>Charles L Hamilton  (chasm@insync.net)  Houston, TX
>

>-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
>->  Posted by: chasm@insync.net (CL Hamilton)

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]