Time: Thu May 22 07:08:15 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id GAA03290;
	Thu, 22 May 1997 06:36:03 -0700 (MST)
	by usr03.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA10634;
	Thu, 22 May 1997 06:35:57 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 07:04:03 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: SNET: "Until We Have Answers" (fwd)

<snip>

>By:
>Kathy Delia McDaniel
>THE LOUISIANA KITCHEN MILITIA
>1109 West Port Street
>DeRidder, LA  70634
>P/F:  318-463-6574
>
>Amidst the scandals that seem to haunt the Clinton Administration, a
Senate hearing of the Subcommittee on Arm Services' Personnel (S. Hearing
104-823) in September 1996, seems to have slipped into the dark crevices,
secluded from the public's oversight.  Scanning more than a decade and
encompassing three presidencies, Democrats and Republicans, the 103rd,
104th and now the 105th Congress, this story must be told!  The
Subcommittee on Personnel chaired by Sen. Dirk Kempthorne; an arm of Sen.
Strom Thurmond's Committee on Armed Services met in Room SH-216, of the
Hart Senate Office Building on September 12, 1996.

>According to Sen. Kempthorne in his opening statement, the purpose of the
meeting was to review a "heart-wrenching issue of American soldiers whose
lives were lost through tragic circumstances."  The chairman continued,
"Since 1982, 3,084 soldiers died as a result of what military investigators
say were self-inflicted causes."

>Principal witnesses who appeared before the committee representing the
armed services establishment were impressive:  Brig. Gen. Daniel A. Doherty
- Commanding General, U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command; Hon.
Eleanor Hill, Inspector General - Department of Defense; Director Roy D.
Nedrow - Naval Criminal Investigative Services, and Brig. Gen. Francis X.
Taylor, USAF - Commander - Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

>The deceased military personnel were represented by their parents and
family members, five appearing in person, additionally 27 giving written
statements.  Mrs. Linda Shults, "designated leader" of Until We Have
Answers, an organization formed to look into the suspicious deaths of their
loved ones, stated in her oral comments to the panel that, "Time and time
again, a self-inflicted finding has been supported by the Office of the
Inspector General in death situations that have astounded experts."  "For
example," she stated, "missing guns, missing shell casings, unidentified
blood stains, broken bones, superhuman feats worthy of Houdini, such as
hanging yourself with your hands chained behind your back, the destruction
of all physical evidence at the command's wish within a few months after
the death, theft of all personal property, sloppy and incomplete pathology
by the armed services, bizarre and incomplete preparation of psychological
autopsies, and most certainly, leading and inappropriate interviews with
witnesses, friends and families, and in some cases, no interviews with them."

>Mrs. Shults was joined by Mrs. Cassandra Alleyne, mother of DT3 Paul R.
Mamby (dec) who, in addition to numerous others, supported and commented
additionally on the suspicious circumstances surrounding the deaths of
their loved ones, concluded, "The organization, Until We Have Answers will
not rest until justice is served and change is implemented.  We will not
stop writing letters, we will not stop asking questions, we will not stop
marching, we will not go away until we have answers and change."

>Mr. Christopher Rush, a retired New York City police officer and former
special deputy with the United States Marshals Service has personally
investigated or was consulted on approximately 100 cases of unattended
deaths and homicides.  Having been retained 4 years ago by families of the
deceased, commented that it was his professional judgment that "in some
instances, murder went unpunished," as a consequence of minimum standards
not being attained.

>Page after page of sworn statements, and or testimony alluding to a
gigantic cover-up of murders.  The 268 page transcript reads like a
made-for-TV movie; with references to illegal activities within the
military.  Bodies returned with "no brains;" organs removed (eviscerated).
Indications of cover-ups aided and abetted by military personnel.  One case
in particular is that of a young military man who died in Germany.  His
mother, who was unable to be in attendance at the hearing because of
illness, discovered after having "her own pathologist standing by to
receive his body," that "his prostate gland" was missing.  Mrs. Shults
asked, "What autopsy information would they want to take just those two
organs?"

>Dr. John Sabow, brother of U.S. Marine Corps Colonel James E. Sabow,
51-year-old commander of all Western Air Operations for the U.S. Marine
Corps was found shot to death in his backyard in El Toro, California.  Dr.
Sabow, a board certified neurologist and board qualified expert in internal
medicine stated the following for the record:

>"I appear before you today as a battle-weary veteran of 6 long years of
constant administrative struggle, in which I have attempted, as have many
of the other men and women here, to make use of every avenue of Defense
Department administrative review which the U.S. Congress has made available
to the families of servicemen and women to review the initial incompetent
military death investigations of their loved ones.  I am here today to
inform you that the system of internal military administrative review
procedures of such in-service death investigations presently made available
by Congress is absolutely insufficient, as a matter of practice, and as a
matter of law.  No confidence whatsoever on the part of the American
family, to whom Congress asked us to loan our loved ones is given us."

>Continuing, Dr. Sabow stated:
>
>"I am here today because of the non-combat violent deaths of over 3,000
young men and women over the past decade, while they were serving their
country on active military duty.  All of these deaths were ruled by the
United States military investigative services to have been self-inflicted,
every one.  The deaths among these 3,000 which bring us here today occurred
under very suspicious circumstances, but all of them were ruled by the
military to have been self-inflicted.

>"I have not contacted every one of them, but with whom I have spoken; all
have expressed profound disappointment in their government.  There is
disappointment in the military service that was supposed to take care of
these servicemen and women, disappointment in military investigative
agencies that were required by law to conduct professional, objective
investigations into the manner of deaths, disappointment in many of our
elected representatives, who rather than personally get involved, have
assigned their investigations to aides who seem to be more interested in
protecting their senator or their congressman from a controversial issue if
circumstances and the truth would become public and well known."

>"The greatest disappointment," according to Dr. Sabow which was shared by
many others, "is in our country whose leaders plainly have an agenda that
values the establishment over the individual, form over fact, expedience
over truth.  All of us morn the loss of our loved ones, but we also morn
the loss of respect that we all have had for our country."  [Emphasis added.]

>Sadly, Dr. Sabow concluded, "In our search for the truth we have been
overwhelmed by the lack of sensitivity shown by the military, and the
arrogance of the DOD investigators, but most of all by the perception that
our government is attempting to hide the truth and obstruct justice."
"Indeed," he said, "many of these American families have been forced to the
conclusion that agents of our own government have played some active role
in the deaths of our loved ones, and not simply a passive role after the
fact."  [Emphasis added.]

>SOURCE:
>The Practices and Procedures of the Investigative Services of the
Department of Defense and the Military Departments Concerning the
Investigations into the Deaths of Military Personnel Which May Have
Resulted from Self-Inflicted Causes Hearings Before the Subcommittee on
Personnel of the Committee on Armed Services, United States Senate, 104th
Congress, 09/12/96, S. Hrg. 104-823.

>For a complete copy (268 pages) of the transcript of these hearings you
may contact the Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. or