Time: Wed Nov 13 23:59:32 1996
To: Richard McDonald
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
Bcc:

We have a big alcohol problem in
Neil, and it is getting worse by
the day.  See below and attached.

/s/ Paul Mitchell

[This text is formatted in Courier 11, non-proportional spacing.]

                                      c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776
                                         Tucson [zip code exempt]
                                                 ARIZONA REPUBLIC

                                                November 13, 1996

Evelyn Nordbrock
6642 E. Calle de San Alberto
Tucson, Arizona

Dear Evelyn,

     Please accept  my apologies  for  irritating  you  with  the
request that  Nancy  Lord  stay  at  your  home  in  some  future
emergency.  It was not my intention to invade the privacy of your
home, or  to impose upon your generosity.  I was trying to set up
a soft  landing for  someone who appears to be imminent danger of
retaliation for  the witness  she has become to the same kinds of
persecution you  are experiencing.   I  had no idea that you have
had such  unfortunate experience  with house  guests in the past.
In the event that I might not be at home when that emergency call
might come,  I wanted her to know that there are others in Tucson
who would welcome her with open arms, if only for a night or two.
That was  all I meant to ask of you.  I certainly did not mean to
imply that  I wanted  her to stay with you for any length of time
beyond that.  You know, and I know, that I have an extra bedroom,
which you  helped me  to furnish.   The only problem right now is
that I  have a  total of  $20 in my wallet right, and I need that
money for  food.   I cannot  as yet  afford the expense of buying
sheets, pillows, and bed spreads for that nice new bed which Neil
put on  the account.   You  already know  that clients are now in
arrears to  me for  over $25,000.   I don't know anybody for whom
that is petty cash.

     I am  also obligated to tell you, if you don't already know,
that Neil  is bordering  on clinical  psychosis  because  of  his
excessive and  regular drinking  habits.  Although I have enjoyed
each and  every one  of the many meals which you have so expertly
prepared for  all of  us, there were many occasions when Neil has
slurred his  words, lost  his balance while standing, and spilled
drinks and  gravy all over your beautiful table cloth.  I am also
unable to  communicate complex  computer or  legal ideas to Neil,
after he has begun to consume alcohol.

     The most important thing I want to say to you here is that I
am one  of the  many Americans  who have  lost a family member to
alcohol:  my brother died of complications due to chronic alcohol
poisoning about 5 years ago.  My personal pain is the realization
that I  never did  anything to  help him,  because I was entirely
estranged from  all of my family for too many years, during which
time Ronnie  passed away quietly, having degenerated very slowly,
when he  drove alone  to the place where he and his only son used
to fish together, and drew his last breath.  I can only pass this
enormous pain  up to  my Father  in Heaven, and hope that he will
somehow forgive  me for  not intervening  when I  could have, and
should have,  no matter  what the  consequences.  It was the fact
that I  never even tried that now weighs so heavily upon my soul.
My only  defense now  is that  I never  even knew  that he was so
deathly ill.   But  I have  myself solely to blame for allowing a
chip on  my shoulder  to grow  into a giant personal block to any
human contact  whatsoever during those terrible years.  My mother
has never  recovered from  losing now  2 of her 3 sons.  I am the
only one  left, and  the odds are high that I will not outlive my
parents, given the high risks that are associated with my line of
work.   How often  does your next door neighbor sue the President
of the United States, a person who is now implicated in dozens of
homicides, not  to mention  a host  of other  felonies, including
treason.

     If I  make it  to my own father's funeral, it will be a most
excellent gift from the Most High, hopefully many years from now.
I do  what I  do, because my earthly father now casts a very tall
shadow, and I am honored to stand on his shoulders to defend this
country, as  well, if  not better, than he did, at great personal
risk to  his own  life.   If I  now ask  a lot  of myself,  it is
because this  is my  redemption for  all those  many  decades  of
pride, hatred,  drugs, sin  and debauchery.   Maybe  I  too  will
someday earn  the Purple  Heart, and  proudly share  it with  the
children in  my life,  born to others, giggling and laughing as I
bounce them  on my lap, knowing that they can now breathe freely,
and grow up in a country where liberty and justice shall flourish
once again, as realities, not stale or empty phrases.

     I must  also tell you that I am ill equipped to intervene on
behalf of  Neil and  his alcohol problem.  Evelyn, what I do know
is that  this is  a  disease,  and  there  are  advanced  methods
available for  treating, and  curing, this disease.  I am telling
you this,  because I am an alcoholic too, having started drinking
that day,  many years  ago, when my father handed me a beer after
pouring concrete  on a  very hot  day in  Santa Ana,  California.
After many  many decades  of pain  and isolation, I got up enough
courage to  take my  alcoholic friend to AA, where I learned from
someone who  knows, that the alcohol had made me insane;  that is
all there  is to  it.   I do  not touch  the stuff  now, for more
reasons than  I can  shake a  stick at.   I so much enjoy sharing
coffee, tea, and fruit juice with the both of you, because I love
both of  you so  very much.   It  is for this reason that I enter
this plea, on Neil's behalf, that you get him immediately into an
alcohol rehabilitation  program.  The choice is yours, but I know
from experience  that if you allow this problem to continue, that
death is waiting just around the corner for Neil.

     Thank you  very much for everything.  Please don't shoot the
messenger, as so many people are wont to do with me.  I trust you
enough to know that you will do as I ask.

Sincerely yours,

/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S.

copy:  Mark and Rose Nordbrock